The Only Limitaion is our Imagination

 

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture:

Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon, and a pioneer in the gaming world.  He gave his Last Lecture: “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams” at Carnegie Mellon in 2007, shortly after learning he had pancreatic cancer. This lecture was part of the “Last Lecture” series and was only intended as a “what if” scenario, but for Randy it had deeper meaning. He was giving this lecture for his sons.

Out of any topic Randy could have chosen for his lecture, he chose to speak about achieving your childhood dreams.  Randy spent a lot of time dreaming as a young boy. His parents encouraged his dreaming, and even let him write on the walls of his bedroom. In my opinion, this was instrumental in his success in life. Allowing our children and ourselves to dream is so important. It is in those moments that we figure out our Stars.  The things that we desire most in life. The great thing is that, as children, our only limitation is our imagination.

There are several important attributes or qualities that were important to Randy that helped him achieve his childhood dreams.  First, he was determined.  He was told “no” many, many times.  He called these moments “brick walls.” He said “Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want it.  And they stop the people who don’t want it bad enough.”  If he had stopped pursuing his dreams every time he was told no, he would not have accomplished much of anything. Second, Randy built a network of support by being a good friend to others.  He was honest and put others first. This opened doors for him to accomplish his dreams. I like to think of this as working smarter, not harder. Third is Attitude: In his lecture, Randy shared two experiences he had with two professors regarding the same topic.  One professor got frustrated and finally said “I don’t know, go away”  The second professor said “I don’t know, tell me more.”  Our attitude can make or break us.  Our willingness to swallow our pride and admit we don’t know everything will create learning opportunities and again, open doors on our entrepreneurial journey. The last, and one of the most important attributes that Randy possessed, was his willingness to be flexible. His dreams didn’t always turn out exactly the way he initially intended. Timing was never what he had planned.  As he practiced patience, stayed prepared and remained flexible, most of the time His dreams turned out better than he had imagined. 

 

“Be prepared, Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.” – Randy Pausch

 

Enough about Randy, lets talk about me.  Just like Randy, I loved to daydream when I was little.  I remember in kindergarten during “nap time” I would lay my head on my arm and with the other hand I would twirl my fingers like a dancer on the desktop. I’m starting my entrepreneur journey a little bit late in life, so I’ve reached my two biggest stars of being a wife and a mother.  Those really are my most important accomplishments.  Most of the other stars from my childhood have slipped away, or are no longer important to me. 

There is one dream that I wish I had followed through. I wanted to be a speech therapist.  I went to Utah State University and began my studies, working toward that goal.  I was also spending a lot of time having fun, and not focusing on my grades.  They weren’t bad grades, just not top of the class grades.  One day, when I was in the second year of college, I found myself in an interview with the dean of the College discussing graduate school.  He told me I didn’t have the grades I need to be accepted, and that I should look for another major. My very first brick wall demolished me and I was devastated.  But he was the professional, and I was young, so I quit that dream and changed my major to English.  I wish I had the insight then that I have now.  I know I am capable of accomplishing great things.  I am excited about the path I have chosen moving forward.  I look forward to the opportunities I will have to fail, learn, and get back on track.  I’m excited about my goals.  I’m exited for the unknown.  This time, I won’t let the brick walls determine my course.

Comments

Popular Posts