The Last Lecture

 

I feel like my entrepreneurship class has come full circle with this assignment.  I don’t know if you remember that one of my first blog posts was about Randy Pausch’s last lecture.  His was truly inspiring.  I don’t feel qualified to put myself in his shoes, so you get to spend some time in mine. 

To sum up MY 5 biggest take-a-ways from the 14-week course, I would categorize them as:

1. Creating a life of Purpose by building a vision.

2. Building Character.

3. Building Relationships.

4. Discovering How I will measure my life.

5. The Ultimate Formula for success.

Creating a life of Purpose

I was deeply impacted by the idea of finding my most precious talent or my rarest gift.  I had never before been given the direction to look for those “lost in time moments” when I’m so immersed in what I’m doing that I lose track of time.  It was eye opening and I learned a lot about myself as I looked to discover the spiritual gifts and talents that God has given me.  I feel like I have clarity and direction in aligning my will with my Father in Heaven, and I’m exited for what the future will bring.  Most importantly, I’ve started creating a life of purpose by looking for ways that my talents might help someone else.

Building a Vision

During the course we were taught to “Develop a personal definition of success then formulate goals, objectives and strategies for attaining our vision.” Have you ever heard the phrase “reach for the stars?” The stars are your goals.  Think big! Begin with the end in mind, and make it your “mission” to accomplish your long-term goals.  Most importantly, ask yourself, “do my goals align with the will of my Father in Heaven?” If you are doing the will of the Father, you will be able to accomplish more than you could have ever imagined.

Next, we have our stepping-stones.  When creating a life of meaning, treat life as an experiment.  Make smaller goals that will lead you to your star.  Constantly be learning, acquiring knowledge and networking with each step.  As you travel along your journey consider the knowledge you’ve gained and refine your view.  Make sure your goals are compatible with each other along the way.

 Most likely you will hit a brick wall along the way.  Don’t be discouraged, brick walls are there to let us prove how badly we want something. 

As we travel along our journey, it’s important to establish protection from the adversary. Establish Guardrails, boundaries you would never cross. Remember, God knows where your heart is, so do what is right for the right reason- Your love of Christ.

Building Character

Over this course I identified 5 characteristics needed to be a successful entrepreneur.  First, be humble. Clayton M Christensen said,Humility is defined by the esteem in which you regard others.” The way we see the world around us is inseparable from our character, therefore we must adjust our perspective, not just our attitude.(7 Habits)

Second, be flexible.  A successful entrepreneur is able to adjust quickly to overcome obstacles (brick walls) and even be willing to see that their ultimate goal might not end up looking exactly how they imagined it being.

Next, without spending too much time on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, (I would highly suggest studying it) I would like to focus on one particular habit that had a big impact on me. That is seeking to understand then to be understood.  When someone gives you feedback, “cherish” it and listen to it.  Be willing to take criticism because, as Randy Pausch says: “When you know you are doing something badly and no bothers to tell you anymore, that means they’ve given up on you.”

Fourth, Perseverance. Many successful entrepreneurs failed many, many times before they found success.  Thomas Edison found 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb before he found the right way.  Don’t give up, and don’t listen to the “nos.”   “The best gold is at the bottom of the barrel of crap.”(Pausch)

The last, and most important characteristic is Integrity. Always be a light and an example to others through your actions.

Building Relationships

Networking is vital in the business world. It’s important to align yourself with people who will make up for your weaknesses. People who know the industry. Surround yourself with people who share your values.  We become like the people around us.

How will I measure my life?

Make sure you are choosing the right yard stick.  More specifically God’s measuring stick. Elder Oaks said “We will be judged not by the sum total of our deeds, but by the condition we have achieved.” Some questions you might want to ask yourself are: “Have I contributed something meaningful?” “Was I a good person?” “Who did I love and who loved me?” “How was I changed on my journey?”

The Ultimate Formula for success

During the course we studied a few formulas for success. Some included waking up early. One included filling our mind with truth.  Every formula for success involved serving others. 

My last words of advice to you would be to involve the Lord in every aspect of your life.  He will bless you with clarity, vision, and purpose if you align your will with his.  Through him all things are possible, and through him we can find success.

Comments

Popular Posts