Seven Habits

 This week we learned about Steven Covey's book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". This book has popped up several times in my studies, and the school district that my husband teaches for actually uses the 7 habits to help their students.  It's a great tool for working toward self mastery.  It would be hard to choose which habit has the most meaning to me. 

I think being proactive about how I'm going to react to any given situation is so beneficial.  It not only helps with relationships, it encourages self reflection.  It challenges us to consider why we think the way we do, and perhaps realize that there is another way of thinking. I like the quote, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". Funny, but true.  Choosing to see things in a different light before we react promotes growth. 

Along those lines, Habit 5, Seeking first to understand, then be understood is a great communication tool.  I remember hearing a story about a little boy who kept playing on the curb next to the street. Worried that he would get hit by a car, his mom repeatedly told him to stay away from the curb. The next day she found him playing in the same spot.  Frustrated, she ask him why he didn't listen to her. With tears in his eyes he said, "but mommy, what's a curb?" I can't tell you how many times my kids and I have had a miscommunication because one of us, usually me, was trying to be understood rather than understand. 

If I had to choose one habit that has the most meaning to me, I would say Habit 6, Synergize, would be the most meaningful.  This is because it combines five other habits to equal something greater than those habits standing alone.  What an awesome concept. 1+1 can actually =3. It's the ability to live up to a potential beyond what we thought was possible. That is important to me, because it increases my ability to serve others and to serve my Father in Heaven.  It increases self esteem. It's living a life a balance and peace in the midst of the chaos of daily life. 

The 7 habits encourage action, growth, purpose, balance, service, communication, and self care.  Finding balance in life helps us put the things we are passionate about in the forefront of our minds. Were not always running around trying to put out fires. We are renewed and reenergized when we make time for self care. Having something to work toward that is important gives us purpose. And we can find joy in life when were are working with others to be our best selves. 

Comments

Popular Posts