Made-up Word of the Week: Integriful



Sometimes I have the recurring dream that I’m headed to my math class and suddenly realize I have no idea what room it’s in.  Then I realize it’s the last day of the semester and I’ve never been to class! I can picture the scene it in my mind.  I see the empty hallways, and the judging look on the secretary's face when I ask her where to go.  I'm confused and scared and frustrated with my self, trying to figure out what in the world is going on! I finally enter the empty classroom and realize there is nothing I can do.  I’m not going to graduate!

 In an address to BYU Idaho, Elder Lynn G. Robbins, a General Authority Seventy, likens this common dream (or one similar) to the judgement day, when we must answer to God for our choices and actions. In his address, he quotes Alma when he asks: "can ye imagine yourselves brought before the tribunal of God with your souls filled with guilt and remorse, having a remembrance of all your guilt, yea, a perfect remembrance . . . ? (Alma 5:18). Imagine the devastation we would feel if we knew we had not been completely honest in our dealings, or if we hadn’t lived a life of integrity.  On the other hand, Imagine the joy, knowing that we lived our lives worthy of being in the presence of our Father in Heaven.  What a glorious day that will be! 

In my studies this week, we were assigned to write a Personal Code of Conduct.  This code of conduct is a moral compas. A promise to my self and God that I WILL NOT cross.  These “guardrails” will help me, when the day of judgement comes, know that I have a clear conscience before my Father. 

 

My Personal Code of Conduct:

I will never break the law.

I will never cut corners to get what I want.  Hard work is a must, and the most rewarding.

I will never disappoint God in my dealings.

I will always put my family first.

I will always show integrity in all situations.

I will always strive to serve others through my career choices.

 

Fun Fact: Almost all of my guardrails are based on having Integrity. Integrity is one of my favorite words.  I spent 5 years working at a Residential Treatment center for teenage girls.  We often referred to integrity as an action word.  Have I been integriful today? Was I integriful when I acted like that?  Using integriful vs integrity internalizes the action and makes it part of who we are. A person can say: "I AM integriful! It's who I am. It's an attribute that defines me. And I'm proud of that!"  I love this concept.  Integriful is my favorite value. 

 

Food for thought: When Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden, they were expected to live by the sweat of their brow.  Work is a fundamental part of God’s plan for us.  We have agency to do what we want with our time, but we will be judged according to our actions. Here are some things to consider:

1.       Am I finding ways to build the Kingdom of God through my work?

2.       Am I honest not only with others, but with myself? Am I living outside my means? Am I self-indulgent?

3.       Am I doing what I'm doing for the right reasons? What (Who) is my primary motivation? 

Keep in mind that how we answer these questions might be a good indicator of wether or not we will stand before our Father with a clear concience on judgement day. 



Comments

Popular Posts