Ah-Ha!


 I recently found myself much farther down the slope of the other side of “the hill” than I am comfortable with. I spent months evaluating my past, present, and what I wanted for my future. One might say I was experiencing the proverbial “mid-life crisis”. Through a long process of searching, pondering and through promptings from the spirit, I came to the decision that I needed to finish what I had started over 20 years earlier and earn my degree. Fast forward to today. Today I will submit the first assignment for my Intro to Entrepreneurship class, marking the beginning of my entrepreneurial journey.

This week I had an Ah-ha moment.  Over the past few years, as my journey began, I had not realized that what I was really searching for was the answer to the question “how will I measure my life?” A very basic, beginning concept in the world of entrepreneurship. I have found that this is what my mid-life crisis is all about. What impact will I leave on my family and those around me?  I’m barely scratching the surface of exploring the answer to that question.  I have also found that I am considerably far from living up to my full potential. In the book “A Field Guide for the Hero’s Journey” we are prompted to reflect on questions, such as “What do you love doing so much that you lose yourself in it?” or “What can you do that no one else can do?” or perhaps most importantly “What needs do you see in the world around you?”(pg.32) I am intrigued with this soul-searching section of the course and look forward to gaining a deeper understanding of who I am - so that I can work toward who I want to become. Along those lines, a concept that has become a sort of magical word for me is that of finding my “golden” talent, my most precious gift, and using that gift to help others. I look forward to, as the course teaches, finding a balance between doing what makes me happy, and in doing my part at making the world a better place.

Comments